Zooooooommmm!!!

I finally painted five raptors.  This may seem sensationalist, but I got these raptors for Christmas (at the same time as my terminators in fact) so finally getting round to finishing them is a big deal.

Here they are in all their glory:

Finally done

Well… not all of them.  I accidentally kitbashed 12 of them, so I’m less than halfway through them. How did I get to this place?

Anyway, lets take a closer look at these models:

Sergeant [name]

The main thing is the lightning claw effect.  I tried to do some quasi blending with thraka green wash.  I simply painted the claws white and then layered over the wash, just covering less and less.  At tabletop distance they look pretty good, but up close they look blotchy and a bit ‘off’.  A good first attempt methinks.

Yes, he doesn’t have a name (yet)… I will accept suggestions in the comments below.  I may ignore them…

…I’ll probably ignore them.  But you peeps have fun anyway.

Special weapons

Flying special weapons bod:

Walking special weapons bod:

The ‘normals’

(I’m just going to lump them all together)

Again there’s one flying and walking, flying form the raptor kit and walking from the assault marine kit.  Nothing too special going on here,

I’ve also been working on some other things, including this vindicator conversion:

Scrubbing this Helbrute:

I’m slightly disappointed that I didn’t get many pictures of the conversion in action.  It’s my first conversion that isn’t kitbashing.  As in, there was cutting involved

The origin of it is 1) the new traitor legions book, which incentivises ordnance weapons and 2) I had a rhino lying around.

The first thing I did was try to find the sprues that are sold with the vindicator set.  But these are impossible to find.  So the next thing was the big momma cannon, but that was just ridiculous in size and price.  Expensive to the point where I may as well have bought another vindicator.

From somewhere came the idea to use the defiler cannon.  Really I have no idea where it came from just suddenly I thought ‘I wonder if that would fit’.  And lo, it did; and I saw that it was good.

The basic steps are here: Cut a rectangle out of the top right corner of the rhino front panel.  Then slip the defiler cannon in the gap, gluing the top of the cannon mounting to the front of the top part.  Next, up-armour the front by gluing the plates and the window armour on the left hand side and placing the cowling from the defiler kit around the cannon (this nicely covers any rough edges from the cutting).

Then I chaosified the rest in the normal way 😉

And I’m starting to experiment with basing…

I’m going for salt flats a la Star Wars 8

Here’s where we’re at so far

The front half is based red and the other Ulthuan Grey.  Then I put Agrellan Earth over it, using different thicknesses to see how the cracking works.   I quite like the deep cracking over redThen Ulthuan Grey over the top of it all.  I quite like the deep cracking over red, but I’m not quite sure where to go with it – maybe some ceramite white layered over, maybe use more texture paint?

Anyway, I’m off to watch an 8th edition battle report and deliver my musings on how my iron warriors are going to fare.

See ya!

</oli>

I need your clothes….

…your boots, and your motorcycle

That’s right, I’ve been working on some terminators for my grand company.  And they’re not doing too bad – nearly halfway through my terminator annihilation force in a blur of action that has not matched my previous apathetic mood.

This apathy was brought on by one particular model…

…and my inability to recess shade my vindicator 😭. Especially when Duncan makes it look so easy 😕.

However – I clearly got my mojo back XD

Quick question anyone know how to wash a smooth surface well? Would really help me finish this Deathwing shoulder pad

And how do you get the shade good on a smooth surface
Is the stripe meant to be green?

(also – is that about the correct colour scheme?)

Well, the train is about to pull in so I will lose my wifi

Happy war games!

</Oli>

 

Iron Within! Iron Without!

Well, now my brother has started the ball rolling on this I suppose you how I give my models their “beautiful” look.

First you need some models – I’m using the Dark Vengeance chosen models because they’re pretty and they’re what I’ve been painting recently.

dsc_0710

Onto how it’s done:

  1. Base them with leadbelcher spray, so that you get a nice even coatdsc_0703
  2. Then pick out the metal details with gold (I use gehenna’s gold). Also, doing the tabard in brown and anything you want to hazard stripe in blackdsc_0706
  3. Now you wash it all black 🙂 and then it looks all lovely like thisdsc_0708(Also, the horns were done afterwards – white washed with sepia or devlan mud).  Then you just have to details, like the eyes – I do them yellow, along with the eyes on the daemon shoulder plates.Happy painting